Paid Internship Program
Beginning in the summer of 2023, the Auditor of Public Accounts (APA) will offer seasonal, paid internships with our audit teams. The start and length of internships is flexible, and travel to audit sites will be necessary.
Interested students can apply for an internship with one of the following Offices:
- Office of State Government Audits and Technology, which audits accounts and financial transactions of state agencies.
- Office of Local Government Audits, which audits fiscal courts, county sheriffs, county clerks, and other local offices.
- Office of Special Examinations, which examines agencies or programs based on allegations of waste, fraud, or abuse.
About the APA
First established in 1792, the APA ensures that public resources are protected, accurately valued, properly accounted for, and effectively employed to raise the quality of life of Kentuckians. Headquartered in Frankfort, Kentucky and operating in all of Kentucky's 120 counties, the office offers interns an excellent academic and experiential opportunity as it follows professional protocols and accountancy guidance as to public and governmental accounting, including the application of both regulatory and GAAP standards. As established by State Auditor Mike Harmon, the office's operational ethos is best expressed as a dictate to “Follow the Data."
Interns will work with APA audit staff to perform audit tests, analyze data, and provide support for more complex audit procedures. Interns may be involved in various assignments during the course of the internship.
- Currently enrolled in an accredited Kentucky college or university
- Completed sophomore year
- On track to graduate with 20 semester hours or 30 quarter hours of Accounting
If you have any questions or are ready to join the team, please contact Jonathan Johnson at Jonathan.Johnson@ky.gov. Applicants should send the completed application below plus a cover letter and resume.